Paris has been confirmed as Monaco’s replacement for Formula E’s second season, with organisers remaining in talks to retain four races in the Americas after Miami lost its place on the 2015-16 calendar.
The line-up for the second edition of the electric auto racing championship was confirmed by the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) of the International Automobile Federation (FIA) on Friday. The 2014-15 Formula E season concluded with two races in London last month, following a debut campaign that took in events in Beijing, Putrajaya, Punta del Este, Buenos Aires, Miami, Long Beach, Monaco, Berlin and Moscow.
Monaco will exit the calendar next year as its date before Formula One’s showpiece race will clash with the return of the Monaco Historic Grand Prix, which is held every other year. Its place on the calendar will be taken by the Paris ePrix, which will serve as the European season opener on April 23, 2016. The race will take place on a circuit built up around the architectural complex of Les Invalides in the French capital.
Patrick Kanner, the city’s minister for young people and sport, said: “On a daily basis, we are working with Thierry Braillard, the Secretary of State for Sport, to ensure that France is seen as a fitting venue for major international sporting events. But these events have to match our values, be sustainable through public financing, respect the environment and appeal to the French public. That is why the government is actively supporting this event.”
The 2015-16 Formula E campaign will again be made up of 11 races, hosted in 10 cities, with London hosting back-to-back races as the season finale once more. While the remainder of the calendar remains intact from season one, Miami’s exit provides an opening for a new race in the Americas on March 19, 2016. Commenting on the decision to retain 11 races, Formula E chief executive Alejandro Agag said: “It’s an important sign of stability and it consolidates the presence of the championship in the panoply of major global motorsport events run under the aegis of the FIA.”
He added: “Over the past few months, we have received many indications of interest from numerous cities from all over the world, which is another confirmation of the extraordinary reception that Formula E has received all over the world during its first season. We have chosen to keep the number of races the same, with the aim of planting even more solid roots in the cities which trusted in us right from the start.
“We have added one of the world’s most important capitals and an amazing city, Paris, which will be one of the highlights of the season. As for the location of the fifth round, the one on 19th March, we are working to maintain the same geographic allocation of races: the aim is to have a fourth ePrix on the American continent.”
The 2015-16 Formula E season will commence on October 17 in Beijing, with the dates for the conclusion in London yet to be specified.