Mexico City Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum has confirmed that a deal has been reached for the city’s Grand Prix to remain on the Formula One motor-racing world championship calendar.
The length of the deal, which will begin in 2020, has not been disclosed, although the Autosport motorsport news website said that a three-year deal is likely to be announced.
After the race’s official Twitter account posted a message that stated that “the City of Mexico’s #FIESTA will continue”, Sheinbaum confirmed the news yesterday (Wednesday).
¡Y la #F1ESTA continúa en la Ciudad de México! Gracias por hacerla inigualable con tu energía y pasión. 🇲🇽🏎
Mantente muy pendiente a nuestras redes sociales el día de mañana para conocer todos los detalles ➡ https://t.co/YnU5dA3FnM#CDMX #MexicoGP #F1 pic.twitter.com/gA4ApWYk5e
— Mexico Grand Prix 🇲🇽 (@mexicogp) August 7, 2019
“Formula One is staying in Mexico City,” Sheinbaum, who assumed office in December, said. “The FIA president is going to be here tomorrow to sign it. This is good news for the city.
“I also want to tell you that this is thanks to a group of businessmen who made this possible, because this time the city is not using any public funds.
“It’s good news for the city. It brings tourism, it brings income, and it’s also good for the country.”
The race was one of five Grands Prix that had agreements due to expire this year, but there were serious concerns about the race remaining on the calendar.
Earlier this year, it emerged that the $21m (£17.3m/€18.7m) of public money usually reserved for hosting and promoting the race would instead be spent on a new rail project in the south of the country.
Mexico City Sports Institute director Horacio de la Vega expressed his concerns at the time by saying that “there is no other event that compares to it”.