LaLiga and the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) have today (Monday) announced that the suspension of domestic professional competitions will continue on an indefinite basis as the country continues to grapple with the Covid-19 virus.
Spain has been one of the countries worst hit by the pandemic, with the government yesterday electing to extend the state of emergency for another 15 days, effectively meaning that citizens will need to remain housebound until April 11.
In a joint statement, LaLiga, the organising body of the top two divisions of Spanish club football, and the RFEF said: “The Monitoring Commission established by the current RFEF-LaLiga Coordination Agreement agrees the suspension of professional football competitions until the authorities of the Government of Spain and the General Administration of the State consider that they can be resumed without creating any health risk.”
All professional football in Spain had been postponed for a fortnight because of Covid-19, but was initially due to resume on April 3 before today’s announcement.
Speaking to Spanish newspaper Marca last week, LaLiga president Javier Tebas said European leagues should be able to resume play by mid-May, with seasons able to be completed due to the rescheduling of Uefa Euro 2020.
European football’s governing body last week attempted to pave the way for leagues to plan finishing their seasons, along with its own Champions League and Europa League tournaments. Uefa decided to postpone its 2020 European Championship by 12 months in a bid to help domestic competitions across Europe be completed.
On Friday, LaLiga unveiled a plan to fill the gaps left by the suspension of its events by launching virtual competitions for fans to enjoy.
As of Sunday, Spain had confirmed over 28,000 cases of Covid-19, with the death toll rising to above 1,700.