Mexico has secured its second tournament on the men’s ATP World Tour tennis calendar through the acquisition of an event previously held by the Colombian capital of Bogota.
The Association of Tennis Professionals has confirmed that Bogota’s ATP World Tour 250 tournament will be transferred to Los Cabos in Baja California Sur, following acquisition of the event by Grupo Pegaso.
The Abierto Mexicano 250 Los Cabos will have a total financial commitment of nearly $800,000 (€723,000), ranking as the highest in its category in the Americas region. The new hard court tournament will take place from August 8-14 in the 2016 season and will become part of North America's Summer Tour.
Grupo Pegaso began operations in 1994 with the purpose of promoting projects with strong social commitment, which over time deliver global importance for Mexico in the most dynamic sectors of the economy. It has concentrated its activity in the telecommunications, advertising, sports and technology sectors.
Patricio Burillo, chairman of the board of Grupo Pegaso, said: “Bringing the tournament to Los Cabos will reinforce Los Cabos’ reputation as a world-class venue for professional sporting events, as well as an extraordinary destination for luxurious leisure pursuits, for which we are already renowned. We’re grateful to the Secretariat of Tourism and the Baja California Sur state government for their part in bringing this sponsorship to fruition; as well as to the Los Cabos Hotel Association, and Time-share Developers Association for their additional support.”
After purchasing the tournament from Los Angeles, Imla de Colombia produced the event for the last three years in Bogota. Australia’s Bernard Tomic (pictured) won the 2015 Colombia Open in July.
Colombia Open tournament director Manuel Mate said: “It has been a great opportunity for Colombia to showcase our country throughout the world. It comes with mixed feelings to transfer our event to Los Cabos where we believe it will grow to be a great event representing Mexico internationally.”