The ATP World Tour Finals, the season-ending tournament on the top men’s professional tennis tour, will remain in London until at least 2018 under a new three-year deal, it has been announced.
The ATP World Tour, which operates the tournament, extended the deal with the 02, the host of the event since 2009.
The 2015 edition of the competition gets underway on Sunday, with Novak Djokovic defending the title he won last year. The tournament features the top eight singles players and doubles teams and has attracted more than 1.5 million spectators since moving to London six years ago.
The Guardian newspaper said that ‘economic imperatives’ gave London the edge over possible alternative destinations in Asia and mainland Europe.
Financial services company Barclays is the title sponsor of the tournament, but the bank announced earlier this month that it would not extend its agreement beyond 2016.
“We are delighted to have reached an agreement which will see the tournament celebrate its 10th successive year in London in 2018,” ATP executive chairman and president Chris Kermode said.
“The tournament has been a spectacular success since moving to the O2 in 2009, generating record crowds, incredible atmospheres, and a soaring worldwide television audience which broke the 100-million mark for the first time last year.
“The O2 has enabled us to present the sport in a new and vibrant way, in a media-friendly time zone, and in one of the world’s greatest cities,” Kermode added. “For us, there is currently no better place to stage our season-ending event.”