The Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) is close to securing a deal for its World Tour Finals end-of-season event to remain in London for at least three more years, according to UK newspaper The Telegraph.
London has hosted the finale of the men’s season at the O2 Arena since 2009 and in November 2012 the ATP extended a deal to remain in the English capital through this year’s edition of the event.
Despite having attracted more than 1.5 million fans during its time in the city, the Finals have been linked with a move to an alternate location due to financial constraints that the ATP faces. The World Tour Finals is the only event actually owned by the ATP, with the body having to cover all associated costs for the running of the tournament.
North America was previously suggested as a possible future host, while Beijing and Abu Dhabi are both said to have put forward lucrative bids for the next round of hosting rights. However, The Telegraph said organisers have agreed a deal in principal for the World Tour Finals to remain in London from 2016 to 2018.
The news comes after ATP executive chairman and president Chris Kermode said in November that the governing body would not be “chasing the cash” when determining a future host for the event, adding that a market with a strong tennis fanbase would be sought.
This 2015 edition of the ATP World Tour Finals will take place at the O2 Arena from November 16-22. Serbian star Novak Djokovic was crowned winner of last year’s event after Switzerland’s Roger Federer pulled out of the final through injury.