The Global Esports Federation (GEF), a new world federation for esports backed by Chinese technology company Tencent, was launched yesterday in Singapore.
The GEF will be headquartered in Singapore, has Tencent as its 'founding global partner', and aims to stage an annual global tournament. The organisation said it has five key objectives:
- To encourage and support the establishment of national esports federations with a set of relevant standards, guidelines and regulations
- To establish an athlete commission, with a focus on athlete well-being, development of standards for fair play, career support, and education to ensure safe, doping-free and ethically-compliant practices
- To convene and stage esports competitions, conventions, fora and development programmes
- To develop world-class governance structures and guidelines
- To stage an annual Global Esports Games, with the first edition likely to be in China at the end of next year.