HomeNewsEventsFootballSpain

Tebas outlines LaLiga’s resumption plans as June restart eyed for Eredivisie

LaLiga president Javier Tebas speaks to foreign press ahead of the 180th El Clasico (Photo by Burak Akbulut/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)

LaLiga president Javier Tebas has insisted that the top tier of Spanish football will finish its 2019-20 season this summer, while the Dutch Football Federation (KNVB) has outlined a potential return date of June 19 for the Eredivisie.

LaLiga and the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) announced last month that the suspension of the professional game in the country would continue on an indefinite basis due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Tebas (pictured) has been discussing the challenges facing LaLiga during this period of uncertainty and has moved to confirm that there are no plans to cancel the 2019-20 season.

“No, for the moment it (not finishing the season) is not mentioned at all,” Tebas said, according to Spanish newspaper Marca. “It is a hypothesis that we do not contemplate. We want to end. Probably behind closed doors.

“And it is curious that the clubs that want to end the season here are the ones at the bottom of the league, those who are fighting not to get relegated. I can assure you that no major or mid-season championship intends to cancel the season. Whoever talks about it does so for personal interests.”

Tebas said that he was optimistic the season could restart on either May 29, June 7 or June 28. Training would not be able to resume until Spain’s state of emergency is lifted on April 26.

Tebas added that not finishing the 2019-20 season could result in a €1bn ($1.1bn) loss for Spanish clubs. A behind-closed-doors end to the season would deliver a loss of €350m, he estimated, while €150m would still be lost even if matches are able to go ahead with fans.

The Eredivisie, meanwhile, has previously said that it is working to the scenario of finishing the 2019-20 season by August 3 at the latest or permanently discontinuing the season.

The KNVB has now outlined plans for the top two divisions of Dutch football to return on June 19 and complete their seasons by the end of July. More information will be provided on April 24 once the KNVB has spoken to the Netherlands’ National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) and Uefa, European football’s governing body.

The KNVB said it has not yet worked out the consequences of terminating the season. Ajax, AZ Alkmaar and PSV Eindhoven have called for the season to be ended and have been critical of the KNVB’s plans to try and finish the campaign, with Ajax technical director Marc Overmars having said that the Eredivisie is not as reliant on television rights income as its counterparts in England, Spain, Germany and Italy.