The Philippines and Indonesia have become the latest nations to put forward a joint bid for hosting rights to basketball’s 2023 men’s World Cup.
The Philippines Basketball Federation (SBP) said in a statement that the proposal for the International Basketball Federation’s (Fiba) showpiece national team tournament would see it lead the bid by co-hosting the group stage with Indonesia before assuming sole staging duties for the semi-finals and finals of the tournament.
The SBP said the joint bid would be boosted by facilities being developed in Indonesia for Jakarta and Palembang’s hosting of multi-sport event the 2018 Asian Games. The news comes after Argentina this month revised its bid for the 2023 World Cup by bringing in Uruguay as a proposed co-host.
In November, Fiba confirmed that 11 national governing bodies are investigating bids for the event. The Philippines and Argentina were on the list along with Australia, Germany, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Poland, Russia, Serbia and Turkey.
Earlier in 2016, Fiba said that a multiple territory hosting model could be adopted for the first time at the 2023 World Cup. Any national federation can stage the event single-handedly or submit a joint bid.
Fiba sent requests for expression of interest in the event to all its member federations in June, and those wishing to be considered were required to confirm their interest by August 31. Fiba’s Central Board will announce the host, or hosts, of the event at its 2017 end-of-year meeting.
The next edition of the World Cup will take place in China in 2019, with the Philippines having been defeated in the contest for the hosting rights. The most recent edition was held in Spain in 2014, with the United States defeating Serbia 129-92 in the gold medal game.