The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has said it is considering staging the 2017 edition of Twenty20 competition the Indian Premier League (IPL) abroad, while it plans to become the latest nation to embrace day-night Test cricket later this year.
The 2016 season of the IPL is currently ongoing and the highly-lucrative franchise-based league has been held outside India in the past. The IPL’s second season in 2009 was staged in its entirety in South Africa, while the first 15 days of the 2014 competition were held in the United Arab Emirates.
On both these occasions, the switches were made owing to concern over security provision for the tournaments in years in which the event coincided with India’s general election. Concerning plans for the 2017 IPL, BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur told the Press Trust of India news agency: “The IPL governing council will be looking at the venues in India and abroad. We have to check the availability of the venues and prevailing conditions.”
Meanwhile, Thakur has said India will host a day-night Test during New Zealand’s tour of the country later this year. Australia and New Zealand made history last year when they faced off in the inaugural day-night Test at the Adelaide Oval from November 27 to December 1.
The match was the first in cricket’s longest form to take place partially under floodlights and day-night Tests have been designed as a means to reinvigorate a format that has come under pressure from the competing attractions of one-day internationals and Twenty20 games.
“We have decided that we will play one day-night Test match with the pink ball against New Zealand later this year,” Thakur said, according to the ESPNCricinfo website. “Before that, (domestic competition) the Duleep Trophy will act as a dress rehearsal for the day-night Test match.”
He added: “While we have not zeroed in on the venue, there are lots of factors that need to be taken into account. Things like dew factor, how the spinners bowl with the pink Kookaburra (ball) on Indian pitches. These things we will get an idea (of) during the Duleep Trophy.”
In other news, BCCI president Shashank Manohar has said the $41.97m (€36.8m) compensation claim imposed by the previous BCCI administration on the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) for abandoning the 2014 tour to India has been waived. Manohar has said the West Indies will tour India in 2017 to complete the “unfinished” matches from the 2014 series.
“That is now sorted out because they are going to come back and play here next year,” Manohar said. “They have to complete those (unfinished) games. That was a claim raised by the board. (We) would be satisfied by them coming and playing here.”
The West Indies left India in October 2014 with a one-day international, Twenty20 international and three Test matches unplayed – the culmination of a dispute between its players and the Players Association (WIPA) over a new collective bargaining agreement.
The BCCI immediately made clear its desire to seek damages relating to lost television and commercial revenue and cancelled all future bilateral tour agreements with the West Indies pending a resolution. Citing frustration with a lack of movement on the issue from the WICB, the BCCI then asked for $41.97m in compensation for lost earnings from the abandoned tour. Such a measure would have proven a financial disaster for the cash-strapped WICB.