Argentina has revised its bid for basketball’s 2023 men’s World Cup by bringing in Uruguay as a proposed co-host for the national team showpiece.
The move follows talks between the governments of the two countries and comes with Argentina and Uruguay currently pursuing a similar bid for football’s 2030 Fifa World Cup. The proposal for the International Basketball Federation (Fiba) event has yet to be officially signed off but the Terra.com.ar website said that Uruguay would be home to one of the venues for the World Cup at the under-development Antel Arena in Montevideo.
Argentina would have the other three venues, which are yet to be determined. Fernando Cáceres, Uruguay’s Sports Minister, said, according to the ArgNoticias.com website: “We talked with President Tabare Vazquez and with our colleagues in Argentina and have the approval of the two governments to present an intention to host the World Cup in 2023 in the Rio de la Plata.”
In November, Fiba confirmed that 11 national governing bodies are investigating bids for the 2023 World Cup. Argentina was on the list along with Australia, Germany, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Philippines, Poland, Russia, Serbia and Turkey.
Earlier in 2016, Fiba said that a multiple territory hosting model could be adopted for the first time at the 2023 World Cup. Any national federation can stage the event single-handedly or submit a joint bid.
Fiba sent requests for expression of interest in the event to all its member federations in June, and those wishing to be considered were required to confirm their interest by August 31. Fiba’s Central Board will announce the host, or hosts, of the event at its 2017 end-of-year meeting.
The next edition of the World Cup will take place in China in 2019. The most recent edition was held in Spain in 2014, with the United States defeating Serbia 129-92 in the gold medal game.