HomeNewsGovernanceTennisChina

WTA ‘could cut China ties’ over Peng Shuai case

Shuai Peng of China at the 2020 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 21, 2020 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

Steven Simon, the chief executive of the Women's Tennis Association, has said the organisation could walk away from its extensive business in China over the scandal involving player Peng Shuai.

A post on Peng's account on social media platform Weibo earlier this month alleged that a former senior Chinese politician, Zhang Gaoli, had sexually assaulted her. The post also said the two had a consensual relationship and that Peng could produce no evidence of the affair.

You need to have an account to access our content

Find out more about our news, features and services

Already have an account? Sign in here