Australian Pat Cummins has become the most expensive foreign player purchase in the history of the Indian Premier League, at the T20 cricket competition’s 2020 auction.
The Kolkata Knight Riders spent Rs15.5 crore (Rs155m/$2.2m/€1.95m) to acquire Cummins at the auction, which took place yesterday in Kolkata. The acquisition beat the Rs14.5 crore record set by English player Ben Stokes in 2017.
Piyush Chawla was the most expensive Indian acquisition, bought for Rs6.75 crore ($950,000/€850,000) by Chennai Super Kings.
A total of 62 players were sold at the auction, for Rs140.3 crore ($19.7m/€17.7m). News.com.au reported that other high-profile acquisitions included:
- Glenn Maxwell (Australia) — Punjab, Rs10.75 crore
- Christopher Morris (South Africa) — Bangalore, Rs10 crore
- Sheldon Cottrell (West Indies) — Punjab Rs8.5 crore
- Nathan Coulter-Nile (Australia) — Mumbai, Rs8 crore
- Sam Curran (England) — Chennai, Rs5.5 crore
- Eoin Morgan (England) — Kolkata, Rs5.25 crore
- Aaron Finch (Australia) — Bangalore, Rs4.4 crore
- Robin Uthappa (India) — Rajasthan, Rs3 crore
- Alex Carey (Australia) — Delhi, Rs2.4 crore
- Chris Lynn (Australia) — Mumbai, Rs2 crore