HomeNewsFinance & LawFootballEngland

Saudi Crown Prince ‘called on’ UK PM to intervene in PIF’s Newcastle takeover bid

St James' Park prior to the Premier League match between Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur on April 4, 2021 (by Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images)

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman called on UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson to intervene in the proposed takeover of Newcastle United by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund by telling the Premier League to ‘correct’ its ruling to block the deal, according to the Daily Mail.

The newspaper said an exchange between the two leaders on June 27 last year saw Bin Salman warn Johnson that Anglo-Saudi relations would be impacted if the £300m (€345m/$413.4m) deal was not concluded. Bin Salman is said to have stated: “We expect the English Premier League to reconsider and correct its wrong conclusion.”

You need to have an account to access our content

Find out more about our news, features and services

Already have an account? Sign in here