Reports with actionable insight and analysis powered by data
This year’s Global Media Report illustrates in detail the sports industry’s recovery from the global pandemic. New deals have been plentiful across all sports, properties, and markets, with growth anticipated in most markets and sports through 2025.
The global value of sports media rights – $55.1bn in 2022 – represents steady growth on last year’s total of $54.5bn. However, as new media rights deals kick in for the NFL in 2023, quickly followed by the Indian Premier League and the Olympic Games a year later, SportBusiness predicts the global value of sports media rights to break the $60bn barrier in 2024.
As in previous editions, this report breaks down the global market by sport, property, and territory. However, this year’s report has a new and improved methodology and design, enabling us to share even more of our data.
DOWNLOAD EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Outlines some of the key findings and insights from this year’s research, including breaking down the value of global media rights by sports, properties, and markets.
Most valuable sports
An in-depth look at the 2022 top 10 sports by media rights value through to 2025, including the share of global value, 2021-22 growth rate, and the share of the sport’s most valuable property.
Most valuable properties
Highlights the top 20 properties by global media rights value in 2022 as well as expert analysis of the top 10 properties.
For each property in the top 10, the report also looks at its share of the global value and the property’s most valuable market.
Most valuable markets
An in-depth look at the 2022 top 10 markets by media rights value through to 2025, including the share of global value and 2021-22 growth rate.
As well as the numbers, this section also looks at the key developments and market dynamics of the main players in 2022.
Looking ahead to 2023
The SportBusiness team looks at key upcoming developments which could make an impact on the global media rights market next year.
Understand which are the most valuable sports markets, their year-on-year value change, and the factors that affect this – identify the key market dynamics which are driving the expected stagnation across major European markets
Uncover insights on which markets are predicted to make a jump in the rankings in the coming years
Find out the recent development around the top 10 most valuable sports and the factors which made them remain unchanged in the rankings compared to the previous years
Discover which properties are expected to follow a similar jump to the NFL’s new media rights agreements, which are set to kick in next year
Learn about the upcoming industry developments which could make an impact on the sports media rights market
WHY YOU NEED THIS REPORT
Expert analysis details the factors affecting sports media rights values year-on-year
Accurate values provide the most comprehensive breakdown of media rights
Understand the key trends across the most important sports, properties, and markets
See where the growth lies as last year’s renegotiations and rebates have been washed away by waves of new long-term deals
WHO IS THE REPORT FOR?
- Broadcasters – needing an accurate understanding of values for global sports content.
- Rights-holders – looking for global data on how to price property rights.
- Sports marketing agencies – that need comprehensive market analysis to get the best value for their clients.
- Technology platforms – needing to understand the progress of OTT and streaming media rights.
- Investors and finance – wanting an overview of investment viability in sports media rights.
DOWNLOAD THE EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
Data from SportBusiness Media
The most accurate data on global media rights deals, plus peerless insight and analysis, on one easy to use digital platform.
- With well over 24,000 media rights deals going back over 20 years
- The most accurate and independent values and durations for major media rights deals
- Analysis and insight around the deals from a team of global analysts
- Every month we provide a detailed data-led snapshot of a particular, sport, geography or industry
- Subscribers also get access to the annual Global Media Rights Report