Spanish LaLiga football clubs have approved a pay rise for president Javier Tebas amid reported interest in the executive from Italy’s Lega Serie A.
Tebas (pictured) has been widely linked to a senior role at Serie A in the wake of the league’s new domestic rights deal with Spanish agency Mediapro. Lega Serie A, the organising body of the top division of Italian club football, last week accepted an offer for its domestic broadcast rights from Mediapro worth €1,050,001,000 ($1.28bn) per season, exceeding the minimum revenue target of €1.05bn that had been set.
The Lega will now take the offer, for the three seasons from 2018-19 to 2020-21, to the Italian antitrust authority before it can proceed with officially assigning the rights. However, the organisation’s interest in Tebas has been widely reported and LaLiga, which operates the top two divisions of Spanish football, has now moved to lock down its most senior executive.
Spanish newspaper Marca said top-tier LaLiga clubs have approved a contract worth a basic €1.2m ($1.47m) per annum, plus a further €250,000 in bonuses. The deal is also said to include a non-competition clause should Tebas choose to leave LaLiga.
However, the agreement was not a unanimous one with Marca stating five clubs, including Real Madrid, Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad and Celta Vigo, voted against the deal. Marca added that Lega Serie A is due to hold a meeting today (Wednesday) at which the possible recruitment of Tebas will be discussed.
Rayo Vallecano president, Raúl Martín Presa, said the new deal needed to be approved to counter a lucrative offer made by Serie A. He told Spanish newspaper AS: “We have countered the offer because it was a direct attack on our waterline, LaLiga is clearly betting on talent in full growth and Tebas is the greatest exponent we have, we could not let him go.”
Martín Presa added: “They (Serie A) wanted to take away an irreplaceable person in the short and medium term within LaLiga with an improvement and we have done well to match that offer.”