SportBusiness International

Analysis and insight for the global sports business

Formula E decides against Montreal replacement

Formula E decides against Montreal replacement

By: SportBusiness International team

Posted:
19 Jan 2018
News
  • LinkedIn
  • Print

The Formula E electric car-racing series has opted not to replace its season-ending double-header event in Montreal, Canada.

Montreal was scheduled to host the finale of the 2017-18 Formula E season on July 28-29 but the city last month elected to terminate its deal, which Mayor Valérie Plante referred to as a “financial fiasco”.

Instead of seeking a new site for the season finale, Formula E has chosen to reduce the calendar to 12 races. The season will now conclude with a double-header in New York on July 14-15.

In a statement reported by the Reuters news agency, Formula E said: “We’ve looked at a number of alternatives, but decided not to replace Montreal. Racing in city centres requires proper planning and while this process opened up some interesting alternatives, we’ll allow more time to look at these before proposing for inclusion on the calendar.

“Our season finale event will be in New York and it will surely provide a spectacular backdrop to crown this year’s champion.”

Montreal’s decision to terminate its deal came with the city still having two years remaining on its three-year contract. Plante last month said she had taken the decision to cancel the contract after her administration learned taxpayers would be liable for up to C$35m (€23m/$28.1m) for this year’s event.

Plante succeeded Denis Coderre as mayor in November and blamed the previous administration for the situation. She added that the potential cost in damages sought by Formula E would be far outweighed by the financial outlay if it continued with the deal.

Formula E has already been forced to reschedule one of its events this season, with Punta del Este in Uruguay having been added to the calendar to replace a postponed race in São Paulo, Brazil.

Punta del Este formed part of the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons of the series and will return as a host city on March 17 this year – the date São Paulo had been due to host its maiden event. The inaugural Brazil ePrix has been postponed for a year due to issues surrounding the ownership of the planned race venue, Anhembi Park.

The 2017-18 Formula E season continues on February 3 with an event in the Chilean capital of Santiago.

Back to top