HomeNewsBusinessSailingGlobal

World Sailing again forced to open fresh bidding process for Youth Worlds

World Sailing has been forced to open a fresh bidding process for the second consecutive edition of its Youth Sailing World Championships after the Israel Sailing Association (ISA) withdrew its hosting rights to the 2017 edition of the event.

The 2017 Youth Sailing World Championships were due to take place in the city of Akko next July. The ISA was able to exercise the right to withdraw from hosting the Championships as a final contract had not been concluded. World Sailing said it had been informed by the ISA of its decision to withdraw as the national governing body was unable to secure adequate funding to host the event.

World Sailing said it will now accept bids from member national authorities interested in hosting the event in July or December of 2017. The deadline for bids has been set at January 16, with a decision expected by February 3.

Today’s announcement comes after World Sailing in May assigned hosting rights for its 2016 Youth World Championships to Auckland in New Zealand, after Oman withdrew its hosting rights to the annual event earlier this year.

Auckland was selected to host from December 14-20 after World Sailing reopened the bidding process for the competition in March, following the decision by Oman to exercise its right to withdraw its hosting rights. Reasons for Oman’s withdrawal were not explicitly confirmed, but in its statement on the matter the sport’s global governing body noted the publication of the World Sailing statement on Discrimination on January 13.