Javier Tebas is poised to secure a third term as LaLiga president after the organising body of the top two divisions of Spanish club football announced that he would face no rival candidates.
LaLiga has provisionally declared Tebas as president through to December 2023 after his candidacy was determined to have met all requirements. His reappointment could be confirmed on December 23, if no appeals are lodged. If challenges are forthcoming, the Electoral Commission will meet to discuss them on December 27.
Tebas needed backing from at least 11 of the 42 clubs in LaLiga and the Segunda Division to contest an election, but Spanish newspaper AS said he gained the support of 34 teams. It added that Real Madrid, Barcelona, Athletic Bilbao and Celta Vigo were among the LaLiga clubs not to offer support.
Tebas surprisingly announced his resignation earlier this month in order to stand for re-election. Tebas has served as LaLiga president since 2013 and stepped down from the position in 2016 to run unopposed for re-election.
His current term was due to run until October 2020, but Tebas said he took the decision to bring this forward given the proximity of this date to the launch of important new invitations to tender for LaLiga’s broadcast rights.
A new Spanish government is also in the midst of being formed and Tebas cited this as a reason for bringing the election process forward.