The SportQuake agency’s campaign for Asian e-commerce platform Shopee featuring a dancing Cristiano Ronaldo was among the winners at the SPIA Asia 2019 sports industry awards on Tuesday night in Manila.
The Shopee-Ronaldo television commercial provoked amusement around the world due to the footballer’s dance moves, and resulted in a large reach for the campaign. It won the Best Brand Activation of the Year category at SPIA, and came second in the Best Sponsorship of a Sport, Team, Individual or Event in Asia ($500,000 and above). The latter category was won by the HSBC sponsorship of the Hong Kong 7s rugby union event.
Other significant business category winners on the night included the 2019 Rugby World Cup, which was voted Best International Sporting Event of the Year and also won Best Sports Digital Platform of the Year for its online presence.
Lagardère Sports won Best Sports Marketing Agency of the Year, followed in second place by Endeavor and in third by Mailman.
Best Fan Engagement Campaign of the Year went to City Football Group, for its TECNO Race to Manchester City campaign in India. This was a 60-day, app-based fitness challenge run in conjunction with Indian mobile brand TECNO Mobile.
The full list of awards winners is below. It was the fifth edition of SPIA Asia, which is run by Dubai-based advertising and communications agency MMC Sportz Marketing. SportBusiness was a partner of this year’s event.
The awards were made at a dinner at the Grand Hyatt Manila, which was attended by notable guests including Alan Peter Cayetano, the chairman of the organising committee of the 2019 Southeast Asian Games and Philippine House of Representatives Speaker; former Brazil footballer and now sports marketer Ronaldo Nazario de Lima; and Olympic gold medal-winning American runner Dr. Edwin Moses, now chairman of the education committee of the World Anti-Doping Agency.
Filipino boxer Emmanuel ‘Manny’ Pacquiao was due to attend the awards dinner, but was unable to travel due to Typhoon Tisoy, a tropical storm that struck the Philippines on Tuesday.
Alan Peter Cayetano was presented with a special award for his work on this year’s Southeast Asian Games, which is currently underway and which SPIA Asia 2019 was timed to coincide with. Eric M. Gottschalk, the chief executive of SPIA Asia, said: “Every year, SPIA Asia recognises the special contributions and achievements of our host country—we’ve done it before in Bangkok, Thailand, and it’s no different this year in the Philippines. Back in SPIA Asia 2015, the Philippine Sports Commission announced their plans of staging the SEA Games, armed by the goal of delivering an elevated sporting event. This promise of staging more games and presenting a grander scale was reiterated in SPIA Asia 2018 by PHISGOC [the games’ organising committee]. Finally, we all saw this promise fulfilled this year during the breathtaking opening ceremony of the 30th SEA Games.”
The awards followed a two-day sports industry conference at which Cayetano, Ronaldo and Moses were also speakers, and which was attended by more than 600 delegates and 60 speakers altogether.
For the first time this year, the awards included categories for Asian sportspeople. Manny Pacquiao won Best Asian Sportsman of the Year, Japanese tennis player Naomi Osaka won Best Asian Sportswoman of the Year, and the Japanese national rugby union team won Best Asian Sports Team of the Year.
The full list of awards winners at SPIA Asia 2019 was as follows:
Sports Business Awards
Best eSports Event of the Year in Asia
- (Gold award winner) The Chongqing Major – China
- (Silver award winner) MET Asia Series: PUBG Classic – Thailand
- (Bronze award winner) StarSeries i-League CS:GO, Season 7 – China
Best Brand Activation of the Year
- Shopee & Cristiano Ronaldo – Singapore – by SportQuake
- NBA Playoffs-Finals #NeverMiss Campaign – Philippines – by NBA Philippines, Inc
- AIA China, Tottenham Hotspur ICC Tour 2019 – China – by AIA China
Best Use of Technology in Sports
- Atrium Sports – Kilsyth Basketball Connected Stadium – Australia – by Atrium Sports
- MICE & Communication Photo Search System – Thailand – by MICE & Communication Co
- Dhiraagu Maldives Road Race 2018 and 2019 – Maldives – by Dhiraag
Best International Sporting Event of the Year
- Rugby World Cup 2019 – Japan – by World Rugby/Rugby World Cup Limited
- Formula 1 Rolex Australia Grand Prix 2019 – Australia – Australian Grand Prix Corporation 2019
- AFC Asian Cup – Singapore – Lagardère Sports
Best Sports Digital Platform of the Year
- Rugby World Cup – Japan 2019 Digital Platform – Japan – by Rugby World Cup Limited
- Goal – Singapore – by DAZN Media
- JustRunLah! – Singapore – by JustRunLah!
Best Sponsorship of a Sport, Team, Individual or Event in Asia ($500,000 and above)
- HSBC Hong Kong 7s – Hong Kong – by China HSBC
- Shopee & Cristiano Ronaldo – Singapore – by SportQuake
- QNET with Manchester City Football Club – Malaysia – by QNET
Best Integrated Marketing Campaign of the Year
- WTA Finals 2018 – Singapore – Lagardère Sports
- SINA SPORTS Sina 3X3 Golden League – China – by Sina Sports
- Bundesliga Experience Thailand with Oliver Kahn – Thailand – Bundesliga International
Best Sports CSR Initiative of the Year
- AIA Soccer for the Nation – Indonesia – AIA Insurance Indonesia
- “Run With Me 2019” – Philippines – by Travellers International Hotel Group, Inc. (Resorts World Manila)
- Table Tennis for NepALL – Nepal – by ITTF Foundation
Best Sports Marketing Agency of the Year
- Lagardère Sports – Singapore
- Endeavor – Singapore
- Mailman – China
Best Sport Youth Development Program of the Year
- Saudi Telecom Company (STC), Eish Al Tahady, Youth Development Program – Saudi Arabia – Saudi Telecom Company (STC)
- AIFF Youth League System – India – All India Football Federation
- Allianz Junior Football Camp Malaysia – Malaysia Allianz – Malaysia Berhad
Best Influencer Marketing Campaign of the Year
- Hola LaLiga Santander Unboxing Campaign – Spain – Liga Nacional de Futbol Profesional
- Shopee & Cristiano – Singapore – SportQuake
- Manchester United Red Devil Messenger – Hong Kong, China – by Manchester United Football Club Limited
Best Sport Tourism Destination Campaign of the Year
- #unitedinperth – Australia – by VenuesLive
- IT’S MORE FUN~TASTIC IN SUBIC! – Philippines – SUBIC BAY METROPOLITAN AUTHORITY
- WLC: KING OF NINE LIMBS – – by World Lethwei Championship
Best Fan Engagement Campaign of the Year
- TECNO Race to Manchester City – India – by City Football Group
- Oppo Billion Beats – India – ITW Playworx Pvt Ltd
- HSBC Singapore Rugby Sevens – Singapore – Singapore Sports Hub
Best Amateur Sports Event of the Year
- Sina 3X3 Golden League – China – by Sina Sports
- Saudi Telecom Company, Eish Al Tahady, Amateur Sports Program – Saudi Arabia – by Saudi Telecom Company
- GoSportz Sdn Bhd – – by GoSportz Sdn Bhd
Best Mass Participation Event of the Year – presented by Mass Participation World
- Tokyo – Japan
Best Mass Participation Event in Philippines
- National Milo Marathon – by Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority
- Cebu Marathon – by Cebu Executive Runners Club
- Manila – by Proactive Sports
Best Sponsorship of Sport, Team, Individual, Venue or Event in Philippines
- Honda Philippines Nationwide Tour – by Honda Philippines
- SBMA Sponsorship of Sport – by Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority
- PRUride PH – by Pru Life UK
Best Youth Sports Development Program in Philippines
- Football 7s Youth Program – by Football 7s
- Allianz National Youth Futsal Invitational – by Allianz PNB Life Insurance
- Brazilian Jiu-jitsu for the deaf – by CLUBE DE JIU-JITSU FILIPINAS
Best Asian Sportsman of the Year
- Emmanuel Pacquiao – Philippines
Best Asian Sportswoman of the Year
- Naomi Osaka – Japan
Best Asian Sports Team of the Year
- National rugby union team – Japan