HomeNewsEventsAustralia

Round-Up: AFF backs Australia-New Zealand World Cup bid, F1 and Formula E merger hint, Second candidate would cancel Olympics, and more

Senator Richard Colbeck, Minister for Youth and Sport with Johanna Wood, New Zealand Football President and Chris Nikou, FFA chairman with Australia and New Zealand players Stephanie Catley and Rebekah Stott during the announcement of Australia and New Zealand's Joint Bid to host the FIFA Women's 2023 World Cup (Photo by Wayne Taylor/Getty Images)

Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag believes a merger between the all-electric series and Formula 1 could be a possibility. Speaking at an FIA EConference, Agag suggested how the two series might combine in the future. “Once electric formula cars are as fast as combustion formula cars, I don’t really see the reason to race separately,” he explained. “But I’m guessing that’s going to take a while.” – Crash.net

The Japan Open tennis tournament, scheduled to take place between October 5 – 11 in Tokyo, has been cancelled due to fears of a second coronavirus wave. The scrapping casts doubt on the “Asian swing”, when the ATP tour plays several tournaments in Asia. The organizers said on their website it would be the first time the tournament had been cancelled since 1972. The tournament was won last year by world number one Novak Djokovic – Japan Today/AFP

Amazon Prime Video has commenced production with the Australian Football League on a brand new docu-series that follows six key individuals from six teams for their 2020 season of the AFL. The new series will give an exclusive behind the scenes look into the 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership Season, which has been impacted amidst the global Covid-19 pandemic – Mumbrella

The Asean Football Federation has put its weight behind Australia and New Zealand’s joint bid to host the 2023 Women’s World Cup. During a virtual council meeting AFF President, Major General Khiev Sameth said: “We are confident that Australia and New Zealand will fulfil their promises and be the perfect hosts for the Fifa Women’s World Cup in 2023. The FFA and NZF have our full support and backing.” – AFF

Australian Paralympic tennis champion Dylan Alcott has slammed the omission of the wheelchair tournament from the U.S. Open, calling it “disgusting discrimination”. Alcott, who won the 2015 and 2018 wheelchair singles titles at Flushing Meadows said players were not consulted and posed no greater health threat than able-bodied entrants – Reuters

Colombia’s soccer chief and the head of South American football confederation Conmebol have written to Fifa complaining of “erroneous and discriminatory conclusions” in the assessment of the country’s bid to host the 2023 Women’s World Cup. The Colombian proposal received the lowest score in the evaluation of three bids to host the tournament. The joint bid from Australia and New Zealand was rated 4.1 out of five in the report, Japan was adjudged worthy of a 3.9 score but Colombia only 2.8 – CNA

A second candidate in the race to be the next Tokyo Governor is calling for the Tokyo Games to be canceled. Running in the election for a third time after placing second in two previous attempts Kenji Utsunomiya is calling for the Tokyo Games to be canceled if health experts advise against hosting the event, so that the funds could be redirected. Another challenger Taro Yamamoto, is also opposed to the capital hosting the Tokyo Games – Xinhua