The Board of Trustees of “MBR Creative Sports Award”, one of Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Global Initiatives, has announced the names of winners in the 10th Edition categories of the world’s leading award in terms of value, and diversity of categories. It is the primary sports award dedicated to inspiring creativity in sports in the UAE, Arab countries, and the worldwide.
A number of local and Arab sports personalities were at the top of the list of winners in the 10th Edition categories. H.E. Khaldoon Khalifa Al-Mubarak received the Local Sports Personality Award as an appreciation of his efforts in many important sports files and for implementing the directives of the wise leadership to strengthen the status of UAE to be in the forefront of the organizers of global sporting events in various sports, in addition to his contribution as Chairman of Manchester City F.C. to the development of the club performance athletically and commercially. The club won 9 titles in 10 years: 3 titles in the Premier League, 1 title in FA Cup, 3 titles in EFL Cup, and 2 titles in FA Community Shield.
The Arab Sports Personality Award was given to H.E. Turki Al-Sheikh from Saudi Arabia for his great efforts as Chairman of GSA, the Saudi Olympic Committee, the Union of Arab Football Associations, and Islamic Solidarity Sports Federation. He launched several initiatives that contributed to developing sports sector in Saudi Arabia, attracting and organizing international sporting events, as well as developing the Arab sports ecosystem. He also supported the efforts of many Arab countries to strengthen their relations with international sports organizations. Al-Sheikh also developed the Arab Club Championship and named its first edition as Zayed Club Champions.
The Egyptian star Mohamed Salah was awarded the Outstanding Arab Athlete Award in recognition of his football creativity after his exceptional season with Liverpool F.C. where he scored 44 goals in all competitions. He also won the title of Premier League top scorer and best player. Mohamed Salah deserved to be among the top three players in the world and Europe in 2018. Moreover, he succeeded in leading Egypt to qualify for the World Cup in Russia in which and managed to score two goals in spite of the injury he suffered in Champions League final and kept him away from playing and training for weeks. He won the title of African Player of the Year and being considered the best Arab professional in Europe.
This came during a press conference held at Palace Downtown Hotel on Monday, 26 November 2018. His Excellency Mattar Al Tayer, Chairman of the Award’s Board of Trustees and the Vice Chairman of Dubai Sports Council, H.E. Mustafa Larfaoui, Member of the Award’s Board of Trustees, and Chairman of the Arbitration Committee, and H.E. Moaza AlMarri, Secretary General of the Award delivered a speech, in the presence of Nasser Al Rahma, Director of the Award and Assistant Secretary General of Dubai Sports Council, and representatives of sports and media institutions in UAE.
H.E. Mr. Mattar Al Tayer started by saying, “At the beginning, MBR Creative Sports Award’s Board of Trustees is honored to congratulate the wise leadership on the occasion of the 47th National Day of UAE’s Union.
Under the banner of our wise leadership, we are pursuing more achievements and prosperity. In the midst of the Year of Zayed and National Day celebrations, we are pleased to extend our thanks and gratitude to His Highness Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai, Chairman of Dubai Sports Council, Patron of the Award and H.H Sheikh Ahmed Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Chairman of the UAE National Olympic Committee and President of the Award on the unlimited sponsorship and support for the sports sector in general and the Award in particular, and on the good directions that have established the award at the forefront at Arab level and Internationally and strengthened its efforts in honoring the innovators in all fields, as well as spreading the culture of excellence and creativity in sports work.”
The Chairman of the Board of Trustees presented figures from the 10th Edition and said, “The Award continued its growth and continued to spread and increase its impact thanks to the patronage and support of the Award Patron and President, the efforts of the Board of Trustees and the work teams, as well as media support from you and from all Arab countries, which we have seen from the interaction of sports federations and international organizations, was very clear by the figures of nominations which rose to 353 files, an increase of 19% from the previous edition, which were 297. Files submitted locally rose to 94 files from 87 files in the previous edition, an increase of 8% from the previous edition. The number of Arab files submitted rose to 241 files from 184 files in the previous edition, an increase of 31%. We also did not miss the youth achievements in Youth Olympics Games in Argentina, although it was achieved outside the nomination period, which was specified from 1st September 2017 to 31st August 2018, as they were selected to be recognized as part of appreciation categories.
“We appreciate the efforts of the Arbitrators who participated in evaluating the files impartially and transparently through the Smart Remote Arbitration mechanism, which was accomplished by the Award national talent work teams. I’m also pleased to thank the media organizations, our partner in business and success”, Al Tayer concluded.
“We are pleased with the growth achieved in the number of candidates locally, at Arab level and internationally, as well as the keenness of sports institutions and federation to participate through its initiatives and programs dedicated for youth. We are also pleased with the success of Smart Remote Arbitration system adopted by the Arbitration Committee. This system was designed specifically for the Award by its staff. All files were refereed remotely and without gathering referees. Distribution of files to referees from different countries and specialties continued impartiality and transparently to ensure fair arbitration in accordance with the achievement and value, until the Board of Trustees and the Award President approve and adopt the results to be announced today. We are confident that the Award leadership will choose the best candidate to win” Mustapha Larfaoui, Member of the Award’s Board of Trustees, and Chairman of the Arbitration Committee said.
H.E. Mattar Al Tayer announced the names of the Local and Arab Sports Personalities as well the Outstanding Arab Athlete, in the 10th Edition.
H.E. Moaza Al Marri, Secretary General of the Award, announced the names of all winners in the other categories:
- The best local athlete:
Mohammed Ahmed Al Balushi, for winning the Motorcycling World Cup 2018
- The local Administrator Award:
- Nasser Abdul Razzaq Al Marzouqi, President of the UAE Karate Federation, for being elected the First Vice President of the International Federation of Karate, his position as a member of the Executive Office and Honorary President of the Arab Karate Federation. He further contributed to the spread of Karate in UAE and the Arab world as well as the introduction of Karate for the first time in Tokyo Olympics 2020.
- Osama Ahmed Al Shaafar, for being elected President of the UAE and Asian Cycling Federation for the period 2017-2021, membership of the Executive Office of the International Cycling Federation, and his efforts to spread the cycling sport.
- The local team Award
The UAE refereeing team in the 2018 FIFA World Cup, which composed of the international referee Mohamed Abdullah Hassan and two international referees Mohammed Yousuf Al Hammadi and Hassan Mohammed Al Mahri, to participate as a refereeing team for the first time in the UAE’s history in the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia. The same refereeing team was used in the AFC Champions League Final.
- The local Organization Award:
Dubai Police, for its pioneering initiative in the field of youth empowerment, which is linked to Dubai Vision 2021, and the global competitiveness indicators in the field of security through the implementation of sports and awareness activities that contributed to reducing crime rates in residential areas.
- The Arab athlete Award:
Mohamed Ihab Youssef, Egypt, for winning 3 gold medals in the World Weightlifting Championship and being on top of the world ranking (weight of 77 kg in 2017). He is the first Arab to win 3 gold medals in the history of Arab participation in the World Weightlifting Championships.
- The Arab administrator Award:
Dr. Mubarak Suwailm Al-Suwailem, Saudi Arabia, for his efforts in developing and unifying the supervision of air sports in Asia utilizing his position as President of the Air Sports Federation of Asia which is recognized by the Asian Olympic Council.
- The Arab coach Award:
Nadia Abdelhamid Abdelhafiz, Egypt, for her contribution in coaching the Egyptian boxing team and winning 45 medals in various Arab, and international tournaments. Her most significant achievement is winning of 2 bronze medals in the 2018 World Boxing Championship.
- The Arab team Award:
Egypt Men’s Squash National Team, for winning the 2017 Men’s World Squash Championship.
- The best initiative for the International Summer Olympic International Federations:
The United World Wrestling Federation, for the Federation’s unique and comprehensive methodology for organizing wrestling training programs worldwide that has benefited more than 200 athletes to qualify for the Olympic Games.
- The best initiative for the International Organizations, National Paralympic Committee:
The Japanese Paralympic Committee, for its initiative to spread the Paralympic activities through inclusion of an academic program in the official curricula for special needs education. This enriches the Paralympic values and enhances the IPC aspirations to make the society more inclusive for the people with special needs through sport.
The Appreciation Categories
- Local junior athlete achieved outstanding successes in sports:
6 young male and female athletes were nominated, and voting will be via Dubai Sports Channel and the Award’s smart application. The voting will continue till 31/12/2018 and they will be honored at the closing ceremony on January 9, 2019 according to the final result of voting:
- Balqis Abdul Karim Abdullah, for gold medal in the Junior 2017 Jujitsu World Championships.
- Fatima Salem Khaseef, for gold medal in the Asian Junior Karate Championship (Individual, weight 54, 2018).
- Ahmad Faisal Al Naqbi, for winning the AFC Junior Judo Championship (Weight 50, 2018).
- Lamia Tariq Mal Allah, for winning the gold medal in the International Gymnastics Championships – Greece 2018, and the silver medal in Germany, 2017.
- Omran Ahmed Al-Hosani, for winning the gold medal in the West Asia Classic Chess, the gold medal in the Rapid Play and the silver medal of the Blitz, 2018.
- Abdullah Khalil Mansouri, for winning the gold and bronze medals in the Arab Cycling Championship, 2018.
- The Arab young athlete achieved outstanding successes in sports:
The Award is won by 4 young Arab athletes:
- Ahmed Osama El-Gendy, Egypt, for winning the gold medal in the Modern Pentathlon, Youth Olympic Games 2018. He is also the first player in the world to win 3 gold medals at the Youth Olympic Games and World Cup.
- Mohammed Ayed Al-Asiri, Saudi Arabia, for winning the gold medal in karate at the 2018 Youth Olympic Games. He is the first Arab athlete to win the gold medal in karate in the history of Arab youth participation in the Youth Olympic Games.
- Fatima Al Zahra – Kingdom of Morocco, for her gold medal in the Taekwondo at the 2018 Youth Olympic Games; the first gold medal in Taekwondo in the history of Arab participations at the Youth Olympic Games.
- Omar Al Marzouki – United Arab Emirates, for winning the silver medal in Equestrian (Individual, Show Jumping) at the 2018 Youth Olympic Games. This is the first medal in the history of UAE’s participation in the Youth Olympic Games.
- Athlete accomplished an Outstanding Achievement Award:
Salih Al-Majri – Tunisia, one of the best and most successful Arab players in the history of Arab basketball. He contributed to the achievement of European titles with Real Madrid, made community contributions to serve the Arab youth, and participated in the discovery of talent and help them to play in the European leagues.
- Athlete accomplished an Outstanding Achievement within difficult Challenges Award (People of Determination Category):
The Award is won by two athletes:
Abdel Nour Al-Fadini, Kingdom of Morocco, for placing second in the 7th World Paralympic Taekwondo Championship 2017.
Ahmed Mubarak Al Mutaiwee, UAE, for winning 6 gold and silver medals in Cycling in international tournaments.