New Zealand Cricket is planning cuts to its staff, including senior staff, of between 10 and 15 per cent, as revenue plummets.
NZC chief executive David White is aiming to reduce headcount as part of his plan to save NZ$6m (€3.37m/$3.71m) in operational expenses as income deteriorates due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
White told New Zealand news site Stuff that a number of jobs “across the business” in their Auckland and Lincoln (near Christchurch) offices could be affected.
In April, staff at the head office in Auckland adopted a four-day week and used their leave entitlements to help alleviate costs.
The governing body received NZ$562,000 for its 80 staff from the first round of the New Zealand Government’s wage subsidy scheme.
According to last year’s annual report, NZC paid out NZ$8.5m on staff compensation. The proposed job losses of 10 to 15 per cent would save about NZ$1.5m.
NZC declared revenue of NZ$59.4m for 2018-19 in its annual report, and White said the first draft of its budget worked on a worst case scenario for its next financial year, which starts on August 1.
NZC’s financial predicament will worsen if it has to postpone planned tours of the country by Bangladesh and the West Indies in October and if the men’s Twenty20 World Cup scheduled for Australia in October is postponed, which is a likely scenario.
On the playing side, White said that Black Caps and White Ferns national team players and coaching staff would not be affected by the cost-saving measures, and the players’ annual retainers will be as forecast for the coming season.