All four cities in the running to host the 2024 summer Olympic Games have progressed to the next stage of the process after the International Olympic Committee said yesterday (Thursday) that “no significant issues” had been found in relation to the bids.
Budapest, Paris, Los Angeles and Rome must now deliver a second part of their bid books by October, according to the IOC, which also received assurances yesterday from organisers of the Rio 2016 Games over the Zika outbreak and construction delays.
The IOC was told by organisers that the Olympic velodrome will be ready for athletes to train there later this month. Earlier this week it was revealed that the local organisers had replaced the main contractor for the project after the company filed for bankruptcy.
The head of Rio 2016, Carlos Nuzman, also played down the impact of political instability in Brazil, with the impeachment of suspended President Dilma Rousseff and her trial scheduled to take place during the Olympics.
Nuzman (pictured) also cited the World Health Organisation’s claim that Zika does not present a health risk that would justify moving or postponing the Olympics.
Rio spokesman Mario Andrada told the Reuters news agency that there was no need to stage a public information campaign due to the threat of the virus spreading being low in the winter months in Brazil.
“We had zero cases of Zika in 44 test events involving 7,000 athletes and 8,000 volunteers,” Andrada said. “There is no reason to engage in a public campaign. We don't need to push and emphasise. Women planning to get pregnant have to take extra care and it is up to them and their families to decide.”