The French Open tennis Grand Slam has been moved back one week and organisers have confirmed that fans will be allowed to attend the tournament.
The tournament will now take place on September 27 to October 11. It had previously been moved from its original dates at the end of May to September 20-October 4.
The move comes amid a rejig of ATP Tour and WTA Tour calendars. It creates more space between the end of the US Open on September 13. It also allows the French tournament to run a qualifying tournament starting September 21, giving lower-ranked players the possibility of competing for much-needed income.
French tennis federation president Bernard Giudicelli said: “We are delighted that consultation with the various international tennis authorities has enabled the 2020 edition of the Roland-Garros tournament to be extended to three weeks.
“In the current context, we are fully aware of the privilege of being able to organise Roland-Garros in its usual form. Especially since the holding of qualifications will also participate in financially supporting a category of players and professional players affected by this unprecedented crisis.”
On the subject of fans attending, Giudicelli added: “It will absolutely not be behind closed doors. There is no final decision yet on the number of spectators, which will be decided on with the public authorities.” The FFT said it is working with French authorities to determine the measures required to permit fans safely.
The US Open confirmed this week that it take place behind closed doors, and will not have a qualifying competition.