FIFPro, the worldwide union for footballers, has said it is “premature” to suggest that it will withdraw its complaint about the transfer market after the stakeholders’ committee of global governing body Fifa reached an agreement to make it easier for players to leave their clubs if they are not being paid on time.
In 2015, FIFPro submitted a formal complaint to the European Commission about the transfer market, claiming that the system is “anti-competitive, unjustified and illegal.”
Following a meeting of Fifa’s stakeholders’ committee yesterday (Thursday), Fifa said that it had reached an outline deal with FIFPro, the European Club Association and the World Leagues Forum surrounding the long-running issue of freedom of player movement in relation to transfer fees and player wages.
As part of this agreement, Fifa hopes that the dispute can be resolved next year, with FIFPro apparently agreeing to withdraw its complaint.
According to the Reuters news agency, FIFPro said that talks had been constructive, but the organisation added: “It’s premature to discuss what might happen next regarding our legal complaint against the transfer system, or any prospective deal until we are satisfied with the proposals put forth.”
Following the meeting yesterday, Victor Montagliani, head of the stakeholders’ committee, told reporters: “It was an issue that was stewing for a long, long time and they couldn’t come to an agreement, but because of our impetus they’ve reached one. We all like to get paid… it’s an employment labour issue and to me that’s very important… Because of our impetus they came to an agreement.”