Fifa’s women’s football survey, released yesterday, gives a snapshot of the position of the women’s game worldwide.
Among Asian Football Confederation members, the report reveals:
- Of AFC members, only Australia made the list of countries with more than 100,000 registered female players, with 113,207. Globally, the USA had the highest number of women players at 1.6 million
- Lee Min-a, from South Korea, has the most Instagram followers of any AFC woman footballer, with 147,048. Mana Iwabuchi from Japan has the most Twitter followers with 314,425. In comparison, Alex Morgan (USA) led the global list with 5.7 million followers on Instagram and 3.5 million on Twitter
- The top-ranked AFC member in the Fifa world rankings is Australia at sixth, with Japan at seventh and Korea DPR in 11th place. The USA, Germany and England took the first, second and third rankings respectively
- The total number of female players playing organised football within the AFC stands at 784,066, with Japan, Australia and China making up almost 80 per cent of the total. In comparison, Concacaf has 9,900,762 players, with 95 per cent of those numbers from the USA
- Iran has the highest number of female coaches at 4,327, with Japan at 2,732 and China with 1,780.