HomeNewsFootballEngland

FA’s post-Brexit proposals rejected by Premier League

The Premier League has rejected a proposal from the English Football Association (FA) to increase the number of homegrown players in squads as part of plans to deal with Brexit.

Earlier this week it emerged that the FA was planning on reducing the number of overseas players allowed in Premier League squads from 17 to 12.

The Telegraph has now reported that the Premier League has rejected the proposal, which was presented to clubs by FA chief executive Martin Glenn yesterday (Thursday). The government has said it will consider the FA’s suggestions when drawing up its post-Brexit plans.

Thirteen of the 20 Premier League clubs currently feature more than 12 overseas players in their first-team squads. Glenn, however, pointed out that only the league’s leading clubs tend to take up all 17 slots for overseas players.

In a statement reported by The Telegraph, the FA said: “The FA has proposed a pragmatic post-Brexit solution to Premier League clubs. The proposal would allow the same current access to European players and reduce governing body endorsement requirements for non-European players to the same levels.

“In return for this improved access, the FA would like to ensure that the league collectively does not exceed the current number of around 260 non-homegrown players in the league – this is equivalent to 13 players per club. The FA believes increasing access, but preventing an increase in current numbers of overseas players, would benefit all of English football.”

Most recent

Browning has marred thousands of once-valuable autographed baseballs, with the precise cause of the damage still unknown. Dennis Tuttle examines the impact on the baseball collectibles market

Dead since 1995, the revered Hall of Famer still commands a lofty position among baseball memorabilia collectors

Callum McCarthy looks at the various ways in which lesser-known European host cities are benefiting from staging a variety of international esports competitions.

Adam Nelson reports on how the International Cricket Council revamped its broadcast coverage ahead of the 2019 Cricket World Cup, focusing on storytelling to attract new audiences and break digital engagement records