The Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) has approved a joint bid from Milan and Cortina d’Ampezzo to host the winter Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2026.
CONI initially confirmed last month that its bid for the Games would comprise Milan and Cortina d’Ampezzo after Turin had dropped out.
The Governor of Lombardy, Attilio Fontana, and his Veneto counterpart Luca Zaia spoke to CONI president Giovanni Malagò (pictured) yesterday (Monday) to confirm the proposal, which has now been submitted to the International Olympic Committee.
Zaia told Italian news agency Ansa: “This morning I spoke to Malagò, who officially told me that he has signed the document for the Milan-Cortina bid for the 2026 winter Olympics. Obviously, we are really happy about this decision.”
The IOC is due to announce a shortlist of candidates to host the 2026 Games on October 8. Last month, the Japanese city of Sapporo dropped out of the race, with the Italian proposal now set to face competition from Calgary in Canada, the Swedish capital of Stockholm and the Turkish city of Erzurum.