The South American effort to return the Fifa World Cup to the continent in 2030 has been further strengthened with the addition of Chile to the project.
Chile’s President, Sebastián Piñera, made the announcement yesterday (Thursday), with his nation to join Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay in the joint bid. Pinera said on Twitter that his counterparts from the other three countries had agreed to Chile’s participation, adding that he had been holding talks for a number of months.
Expanding on Piñera’s comments, Chilean Football Federation (ANFP) president, Sebastián Moreno, said: “This is a project that we have been working for some time and we are happy to be part of this candidacy. With great joy, we can say that we started the work to realise a dream.”
He added: “Hosting tournaments of this magnitude involves many aspects that Chile can offer. Infrastructure, stadiums, technology and all the organisational capacity that our country has shown in recent years as a host of international events, both female and male. We want our country to contribute to the project.”
Chile hosted the 1962 World Cup, while Argentina staged the 1978 tournament. Uruguay hosted the inaugural World Cup in 1930 and the bid is envisioned to mark the centenary of this tournament. In April 2018, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay moved forward with their joint bid by announcing the breakdown of how the 12 host cities for the national team football tournament would be split between the three countries.
At a meeting held between the three national associations and including various government officials in Buenos Aires, it was announced that Argentina would have eight host cities, with two apiece in Paraguay and Uruguay. It is unclear how the addition of Chile would affect this plan.
In November 2017, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay formalised a pact to launch a joint bid for the 2030 World Cup, with Paraguay having been added to the masterplan in August 2017.