The Spanish Grand Prix looks set to feature on the Formula One calendar in 2020 after the Catalan government said it would provide financial backing to stage the event.
In a statement published yesterday (Thursday), the government said it has authorised the one-year extension in a move that would see the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya retain its long-held place on the calendar.
The circuit last week released a statement to clarify that a deal had not yet been struck for next year’s race, contrary to reports. The government’s statement yesterday appears to confirm that an agreement has now been reached.
The Catalan government’s statement added: “The F1 Grand Prix in Catalunya is an asset that contributes to the positioning of Catalunya in the world in the fields of tourism and the automotive sector.”
The deal is likely to see F1 expand its calendar to 22 races next season. The series has already confirmed that Vietnam and the Netherlands will be added to the calendar, while the Australian and British Grands Prix have this summer secured their spots until 2025 and 2024, respectively.
Next year would be the 30th consecutive edition of the Spanish Grand Prix.