HomeNewsSponsorship & MarketingFootballBrazil

Assaí renews title sponsorship deal with Brazilian Série A

Flamengo's captain Diego Ribas da Cunha holds up the 2019 Brasileiro Serie A trophy (by CARL DE SOUZA/AFP via Getty Images)

Brazilian cash and carry operator Assaí Atacadista has renewed its title sponsorship of Brazilian Série A for a further three years until 2022.

The deal will see the league continue to be referred to as the Brasileirão Assaí and grants the company on-field and perimeter branding opportunities as well as the rights to appear in official league content. The league has carried the brand in its name since the 2018 season.

Assaí Atacadista, the largest retail group in South America, is a self-service cash and carry wholesale operator for small to medium-sized retailers, restaurants and general consumers.

It is one of the fastest-growing wholesalers in Brazil and is present in the five regions of the country, with 169 stores across 21 states. In 2019, the company generated revenues of R$30bn ($5.5bn/€4.69bn).

Gilberto Ratto, marketing director, for the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) said: “We are very pleased because Assaí is a great partner and, like Brasileirão, is also present in the daily lives of Brazilians. Having a brand of this scope next to it greatly strengthens the competition. Signing this renewal after two years together shows that the partnership has been successful.”

The Brasileirão Assaí 2020 starts tomorrow (Saturday, August 8) behind closed doors having been pushed back from kicking off in May because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Marly Yamamoto, director of marketing and sustainability at Assaí Atacadista said: “The passion for sport brings us closer together and allows us to be even more present in our customers’ daily lives. For this reason, we will continue to support football and other initiatives related to sport, especially in this moment that we are living. The crowd will still be at a distance, at home, but it will be fundamental for the teams.”

In June, 16 of 20 Série A teams voted for a controversial decree introduced by Brazil’s president Jair Bolsonaro, which markedly alters the media-rights landscape for the country’s football clubs.

Read this: Jair Bolsonaro’s swipe at Globo injects yet more uncertainty into Brazilian football

The text of the decree, MP 984, states that the clubs would be allowed to “negotiate, authorise or prohibit the capture, fixation, transmission or reproduction of images, by any means or process, of the sporting spectacle”.

The decree is currently in effect for 60 days, followed by another 60-day period. However, it still requires ratification from the Brazilian Congress in order to become law.

In their manifesto, the clubs claim fans will benefit from the decree as broadcast blackouts will end and revenue will increase from match coverage.

Under the proposed new legislation, clubs would also be able to sign shirt sponsorship deals with media companies in an overturning of a law that has been in place since 1998. The law would also permit clubs to broadcast home matches on their own TV channels.

The issuing of the decree led to a dispute between commercial broadcaster Globo and Flamengo over its coverage of the club’s home matches in the Carioca state championship. Earlier this month, Globo was ordered to honour its contract for the Carioca by the Rio de Janeiro district court following an injunction being filed by the rights-holder.