* The benchmark All-Share index fell sharply shortly after the announcement. The index was last down one percent at 7,750.2.
* “The market priced in way too much expectation on us getting this bid,” said a market trader. “We are very disappointed and it is showing in the market.”
* The sectors that stood to benefit from South Africa getting the bid fell as investors took their profits from solid performances over recent days. The Building sector fell sharply into the red and was last down 24.6 pts at 5,327.3.
* Industrial index fell 84 pots to 8,719.8.
* Construction company Murray & Roberts was last down 15 cts at 320 cts. South African Breweries returned to its opening price of 49.25 rand from a high of 49.60 rand.