Sports Matters Academy discussed the world of sports law with two leading sports lawyers in a live, online session on June 23. The panellists were Luca Ferrari, partner at Studio Legale Withers in London, and Nandan Kamath, principal lawyer at LawNK in Bengalore. The discussion was moderated by SportBusiness Asia-Pacific editor Kevin McCullagh.
Topics covered included:
- What the work of a sports lawyer entails
- How lawyers work with sports organisations to develop and protect the value of IP rights
- How regulatory changes can dramatically affect the sports landscape
- The difference between an athlete’s lawyer and an athlete’s agent
- What makes a great sports lawyer
Sports Matters Academy is a free educational content series, produced by industry events organiser Branded, with SportBusiness acting as one of the main partners. It is aimed at those contemplating a career in the sports industry, or seeking to advance an existing career. Through discussions with experienced industry experts, the content equips viewers with an understanding of important industry sub-sectors and gives insights into how to develop their careers.
The final session in the series, exploring the coming world of the metaverse, took place earlier this week and will be published soon on the SportBusiness website.